Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Day of Homeschool

     In Michigan, all schools start after Labor Day.  This year that's pretty late (Sep. 8 I think).  Although we've enjoyed our summer, my kids have been a little restless and in need of some structure and routine.  This was one of my reasons for starting school a little early (we usually follow the school's calendar).  Plus, Mom was really ready!
                                             
     Yesterday, we gathered around the couch for devotions and then found some space to do our individual work.  What a great feeling!  Two years ago I sat crying in my living room while watching my 2 oldest get on the bus and fly away to the local public school.  It pained me to know that for the next 8+ hours they would be in someone else's care, trying to formulate a sense of belonging, keeping up with important friend "stuff", all the while trying to to stay sharp for the important information they needed to learn.  Since homeschooling, the change in our family has been significant.  The anxieties, outside influences and unnecessary hectic mornings have vanished.  The long days, cranky kids and pushy Mom have transformed into 1/2 days, happy kids and a confident Mom.  It warmed my heart to hear all 3 of my kids excitedly tell Dad all about how much fun they had on their first day.   God continues to bless us and on this GRATITUESDAY  I am so grateful for THE FIRST DAY OF HOMESCHOOL (and every homeschool day after that). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Allendale, Michigan, United States
I have been married to a wonderful man for 11 years. Together we are raising 3 awesome kids: Zach-10, Cole-8, and Taryn-5. We are doing our best to bring them up as individuals who live and love like Jesus. Although challenging and ever-evolving we feel extremely blessed to have the privilege of sharing our lives and experiences with them as we journey together. We will be starting our second year of homeschooling and are loving it. We are amazed by God's blessings as we continue to see the benefits of this choice. As a former PS (public school) teacher, I grow stronger in my convictions about the lifestyle we've chosen. I love to hear other people's stories and experiences about homeschooling.

Followers