Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Words of Wisdom Wednesday

I recently read a book called Faith Training:  Raising Kids Who Love the Lord by Dr. Joe White.  I really enjoyed his insight, testimonies and wonderful guidelines for raising children in a Godly way.

There is a section of the book titled 365 Ways to Tell Your child "I love you."  I'll just list 5 of those ways and hopefully leave you wanting more.  I currently have this book on checkout from the library but plan on adding it to my "want to own" library at home.

-Make popcorn, curl up together on the couch, and watch your son or daughter's favorite video.
-Make up and tell stories with your kids as the heroes.
-Keep a scrapbook of your child's awards, newspaper clippings, photos, and so on.  Get it out often and look at it together.
-Ask your child, "What is your favorite passage in the Bible, and why is it your favorite?"
-Snuggle in bed together as you tell a good-night story.

Aren't those great ideas?  It seems like a lot of his ideas are things most of us probably do already, but there are some listed that are new, and would just stretch us a bit as parents who want to instill a love and life that reflects a relationship with Jesus Christ.  I highly recommend this book and I know I will continue to refer to this list (the competitive side to me wants to make a checklist and of course start checking things off).

Blessings for a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Allendale, Michigan, United States
I have been married to a wonderful man for 11 years. Together we are raising 3 awesome kids: Zach-10, Cole-8, and Taryn-5. We are doing our best to bring them up as individuals who live and love like Jesus. Although challenging and ever-evolving we feel extremely blessed to have the privilege of sharing our lives and experiences with them as we journey together. We will be starting our second year of homeschooling and are loving it. We are amazed by God's blessings as we continue to see the benefits of this choice. As a former PS (public school) teacher, I grow stronger in my convictions about the lifestyle we've chosen. I love to hear other people's stories and experiences about homeschooling.

Followers